Do I need to know French to study in France? 

No, several courses especially in engineering (all branches), management, hospitality, fashion studies, economics, etc are available in English. However, it is a good idea to start on French to make your stay more rewarding and fruitful.

Where can I learn French? 

You will be taught French as a subject in the school in which you are enrolling for your bachelors or masters. Moreover French Govt. has set up various organizations where you can learn French for free.

Are there any qualifying tests to take while applying? 

Mostly the GMAT may be required for the MBAs and certain other management programmes (there are several MBAs that also accept without the GMAT score. GRE is definitely not required). Most institutes are comfortable with the level of English and do not necessarily ask for a TOEFL or IELTS (some exceptions exist, especially if they cannot ascertain the level of linguistic competence of the student in a telephonic interview).

How long does it take to learn French? 

Language learning being a subjective competence varies from person to person. Usually a minimum of six months is required to acquire a very basic level of French.

Are degrees recognized in France and vice versa? 

France is a signatory to the Bologna Process that sets European standards of education and homogenizes the duration of studies to acquire degrees. A Bachelor degree in France is obtained after 3 years of studies after the baccalaureat, a Master is 5 years after the baccalaureat and a Doctorate is acquired after 8 years of higher education post baccalaureate.

What is the Baccalaureate? 

The Baccalaureate is recognized to be the equivalent of the 10+2; this equivalence is established by the Association of Universities.

Is it necessary to have 16 years of education to access a master degree? 

No, you can access a master degree after 15 years (that is 12+3 years of Bachelor Degree). However, in Engineering courses16 years of education is a pre –requisite to access an MSc or an M-Tech.

Is the Diplome the same thing as a Diploma? 

No the word “diplome” is used to denote a qualification in France; the word degree does not exist in French. To illustrate the point, a “Diplome d’Ingenieur” for example is a title that is equivalent to the M-tech. Thus a diplome does not mean a diploma.

Where can I find out University or college rankings? 

The French government does not follow a policy of ranking universities and professional colleges. The government ensures that the quality of instruction and facilities are at par in all institutes that are state accredited. However informal rankings of management schools, engineering schools, etc. are routinely carried out by magazines like the L’Etudiant or the Nouvel Economiste. Also most engineering colleges in France usually specialize in one domain rather than all branches of engineering, so typically you may have a telecommunications engineering college or a chemical engineering college and the two for obvious reasons cannot be compared against each other.

How can I chose the best possible course and college suited to my requirements? 

We strongly recommend you to get in touch with our experienced professionals in AXIOM. You may do so on mail, phone or a personal visit. They can orient and guide you towards opting for the most suitable courses.

What are the chances of finding a job in France after these studies? 

There is no law that forbids meritorious and deserving foreign students from finding employment in France.

Is it necessary to get any medical check done before leaving for France? 

Anyways you will be made to undergo a medical test by a French doctor upon reaching France when you apply for the “carte de séjour” or the temporary resident permit.

What kind of Insurances are required, what does it mean to take a cover of 50,000 US dollars? 

To establish the French VISA the student has to necessarily take insurance for a minimum duration of three months. This insurance should start from the date of departure and should cover medical expenses and repatriation.

Is my French VISA granted for the entire duration of the course? 

If you are going for the long stay student VISA, then you get 1 year validity of the French VISA with the words “carte de séjour à solliciter” written on your passport. That means once in France, you are to contact the international relations office of your university or institute and apply for the “Carte de Séjour” which is the Temporary Resident Permit. This requires the student to submit several documents at the local “Prefecture de Police”. The Carte de Séjour is then renewable for the whole stay. The Carte de Séjour enables the student to benefit from the French Social Security.

Is it true that the French government gives all students a lodging assistance allowance? 

The student who is entitled to the Carte de séjour may benefit of the lodging assistance allowance offered by the French state depending on the family resources. Your international office at the University will guide to you towards applying for the same. Our representative in France will guide you in this purpose.

What documents should I get translated and from where? 

You should get your birth certificate translated. Please get a birth certificate mentioning the name of BOTH parents and get these translated. The tenth grade certificate or the passport will not work as Birth Certificates in France.

What are the documents I would require to get a “Carte de Séjour” or the Temporary Resident card in France? 

  • You will need
  • A valid passport (original and 2 photocopies of the first two and last two pages)
  • Valid visa
  • Certified Proof of academic records ( originals + photocopies)
  • Certified proof of address in France ( gas or electricity bill, or university Hostel’s letter, or if you are staying in someone’s house then a letter from that person+ proof of his electricity or gas bill in original +identity card or resident’s card of that person)
  • Financial proof = 430 euros / month of living expenses
  • Birth Certificate ( see point 19)
  • 3 recent black and white photos ( 3.5cm x 4.5cm)
  • Oneself addressed and stamped envelope

What is the procedure to apply for this Carte de Séjour? 

With the documents mentioned in above question, you have to appear at the local “Prefecture de Police” you can get this address from the international relations officer at your institute. After handing in these documents and the filled application form, the students will receive an acknowledgement receipt and will be convened to collect their card on a specific date. Students have to appear personally to collect this card and make a payment of 55 euros. Once you have this resident card or the carte de séjour, please provide a copy to your university’s admissions office to be able to get your student card.